On February 22, 2016 the Park School Reunion Committee met to discuss the possibility of having a reunion for all those that attended Park School in Park View. Members of the committee are:
Sam Ewell Co-Chairperson
Dawn Martin Co-Chairperson
Charles Ewell, Information Technology
Margaret Ewell Secretary
David Mumaw Public Relations
Monica Ewell Treasurer
The idea of a reunion has been floating around for years but no one had done anything about it. Till Bernita Bowman and Dawn Martin got the ball rolling. Thanks to them this has become a reality.
Park school History
by James Rush
An elementary school opened in 1918 for Eastern Mennonite School’s faculty and staff children. One year after EMS’s first year at Assembly Park a school was needed for their children- -and children from the neighborhood of Assembly Park would also be allowed to attend. A wooden building was moved from south of the large white Park Hotel building to the western edge of Park Woods and school opened for 30 pupils the fall of 1918 – half being Mennonite. The following year 48 students enrolled in this two room school. The first few years EMS supplied teachers and paid for expenses but in 1921 Rockingham County assumed responsibility for employing and paying teachers acceptable to the Mennonite community. By 1929 overcrowding required additional classrooms. Local residents purchased a 1 ½ acre lot just southwest of Park Woods and the Rockingham County School Board paid for the construction of a three roomed brick building which opened January 1930. Park School served as a training ground for many student teachers of EMS/EMC. In 1964 Park School allowed the Ewell children, an African American family, who had recently moved to Park View to attend – most likely the first public school in Rockingham/Harrisonburg to do so. Park School closed the spring of 1967 and Park View students went to larger consolidated county schools which some parents had been pushing for. EMHS purchased the building for holding Art and Industrial classes in it.